I believe in a balanced approach to building our community, one that considers the social, economic and environmental impacts of what we do. We have known for years that we can no longer take the environment for granted and that everything else is dependent on a healthy environment. We also know that our success as one community hinges on building relationships with First Nations as we work on Truth and Reconciliation. We need to address affordable housing and social issues like addiction by working with senior levels of government to fund solutions. A healthy, progressive community takes action on these challenges and I want to make sure it happens.
- Born – Kingston, Ontario, March 23, 1951.
- Graduated – Nelson High School, Burlington, Ontario, 1967.
- Graduated – Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Carleton University, Ottawa, 1973.
- Started Jon’s Siding Systems in 1970 in Ottawa.
- Moved business to B.C. in 1975.
- Gradually evolved into design and construction of residential and commercial buildings.
- Formed Lefco Developments Ltd. with Marlene Hayes in 1991.
- Continue as President of Lefco Developments Ltd.
- Met wife, Marlene Hayes, in 1979.
- Daughter, Julia
- Son, Sean
- Moved to Chemainus in 1991.
- Member of Chemainus Volunteer Fire Dept. 1991 – 2002.
- Member of St. Joseph’s School Council 1996 – 1999.
- Member of Comiaken Bridge Club, President in 1999.
- Municipal Councillor for North Cowichan 1999 – 2002.
- Chair of Harbour Commission 2000 – 2008.
- Board Member of Chemainus Festival of Murals 2000 – 2007.
- President Chemainus Festival of Murals 2007- 2009.
- Councillor at North Cowichan 1999 – 2001
- Mayor of North Cowichan 2002 – 2008, 2012 – 2018
- Director at CVRD 2002 – 2008, 2012 – 2018
- Chair of the CVRD Board 2006, 2015 – 2018